Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Mad Journey: Travel Writing 21

I.
I may
never
get to experience Italy
again.

II.
I am going to see Mediterranean beauty
when I should be doing
homework.

But if I have learned one thing these weeks,
it is to take advantage of opportunities
sent your way.

III.
So we sit cramped on a train,
the four of us,
because finding out it wasn’t worth it
is not as bad as imagining
what it would have been like.

Around me the train sleeps,
bodies desperately
and uncomfortably
pleading for rest
as they frantically run
across Europe.

They need to see everything.
I need to see everything.

IV.
Time
is running
out.

I may
never
get to experience Italy
again.

V.
Sleep is not an option
for me.

My eyes remain glued to the window
taking in all of Tuscany as it flies by 80 miles per hour.

Don’t blink.

You’ll miss something.

VI.
The destination approaches,
hidden beyond a tube of darkness.
The train brakes periodically
calling people from their peaceful dreams.

Wake
up.

We’re
here.

VII.
All at once

light explodes

into the train,
blinding

as the tunnel ends.
First town.

VIII.
A sparkling blue expanse below.
This is what I came to see.
I hear gentle waves lap up
on a beach of rocks,
and nothing else.

Not even the raspy tour guide behind me.

The water
clear,

the horizon

endless.

IX.
No time to stop.
No time to gaze.
Take a picture and let’s go.

Four more towns.

X.
My camera is always on,
documenting this mad journey.

I hope nothing happens
to my pictures.
My camera

is

my memory.

XI.
Town two.
Three.
Four.

Amazing.
Incredible.
Breathtaking.

I must sum up my emotions in less than a minute.

My calves are rubber, my feet are bricks,
but they will be better tomorrow.

Onward –

I may
never
get to experience Italy
again.

XII.
Perhaps we will stop at a beach
to relax

sometime soon.

Maybe up there.
Oh how refreshing that clear water would be.
But why does this trail keep going up?

How

far is

Monte-

-rroso

from here?

XIII.
Finally

vibrant colors puncture the seascape,
and behind the umbrellas
a fifth town.

Destination.

No time for beaches.
No time for rest.
Only time
to catch the train.

XIV.
Right on time.

My muscles give out all at once
As my body falls into the seat.
Sitting is amazing.

So long Cinque Terre.
I understand
we may never see each other
again.

But that is okay –
I saw

everything

today.
Just don’t tell me what I missed.
I would like to sleep soundly
on the ride back.

No comments: